I’ve never made potato salad from scratch before this weekend. I used to sell Pampered Chef and I had a client that used to work for Corner Grocery store in one of the towns we lived in that made the best potato salad I’ve ever had. She even catered for Kevin Costner during the filming of Dances With Wolves. I mentioned to her that I loved this creamy and super fattening potato salad and she gave me the recipe, unfortunately I never wrote it down. Well, maybe that is a good thing because I don’t need that right now! The number one thing she told me was add the wet ingredients while hot so the flavors infuse.
So heading that advice, I invited people over for a dinner party and set out to make my own potato salad instead of buying store bought. I honestly will never buy store bought potato salad again. Hands down this is the 2nd best potato salad I’ve had.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup low-fat Daisy sour cream (Daisy is corn free)
- ½ cup reduced fat Mayo with olive oil
- 3 T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 dashes Siracha sauce
- 1 T dried dill weed
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 dill pickle, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- While potatoes cook mix, sour cream, mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to the large bowl with mixed sauce. Add hard boiled eggs. Stir well to combine while hot so flavors are infused. Let cool slightly before adding pickle, celery, and green onions.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving.
This recipe has been adapted from a recipe I saw on Allrecipes.